Friday, February 26, 2010

Vedant '10 - Half Way Through

Yes, the week that I was dreading has come to an end. I'm in a dilema here. I have every right to be happy with the way things have turned out. And I also have every right to be unhappy too. The first event of the week and the Festival, the English Essay-Writing Competition, went well. We had 15 participants. Not bad. And some of them were different from the ones who'd registered. So, I was happy. The entire morning went off quite smoothly. One down, the big one still to go.
The Staff Debate was held in the afternoon. Frankly, the meaning of Staff-Debate is a few hours of entertainment for the less-entertained section of the crowd in BJ, if you know wha I mean. The topic was 'Live-In Relationships', and the speakers had a whale of a time talking about everything apart from that.
Tuesday arrived with a friend asking me to help out with the Solo-Singing eliminations. That was a pretty tough task, but the end-result was satisfaction and an eagerness to watch the selected participants sing on the final day. Overall, I felt glad I managed to help her out.
In the meantime, I started getting calls from people outside of college, interrested in paticipating in the English Debate. My earlier uneasiness regarding organising the event was vapourising off quite easily. I was feeling excited about it all. In fact, on Thursday afternoon, I even managed to get all the permissions for the chairs and the table-cloths. I was so excited about it all.
And then it happened.
4 people cancelled their entries. On the eve of the event. I wanted to hold somebody and shake them through and through till every cell in their body hurt. Why in the world did have to happen at that bloody time!! I'd been praying through the entire weekend that I did NOT want the event to happen. And just when I decided that I did want it to happen after all, somebody up there decided to listen to my long overdue prayers! Yeah right, that was so comforting.
It was of no use to hold the event. So, yes, I cancelled it all. Felt dreadful. It isn't right to do this, everything at the wrong time. Any way, point is, my work is sort of done.

No comments: