Saturday, February 12, 2011

College Grind


College has begun in some sort of full flow now. We finished with our 15-day Ophthalmology posting and I realized that I really enjoy it!! Now that’s a first. I was really interested in attending all the 15 days, which, by my standards, means I simply loved it all.
Now we have ENT. This should get over on 16th Feb. Every day I have to push myself to go there because I find it uninteresting. Maybe my opinion will change as we attend lectures, but I am not assuming that is really going to happen.
There’s a difference in the teaching in IIIrd year and that of IInd year. You could point out the better and the interesting teachers in IInd year; you know, the teachers who took an effort to make the topic worth reading , worth attending a lecture for. In IIIrd year, lectures themselves are interesting. So the teacher doesn’t matter. If he or she turns out to be good at the task, it is an added bonus. Till now, we haven’t had downright boring lectures. Guess that’s the advantage of a clinical side teaching. They add practical knowledge to the theoretical, and that makes it quite an awesome combination.  Preventive medicine however, begs to differ. Some topics are really interesting. However, the practice of the Department to make presentations by copy-pasting straight lines from Park (the textbook for PSM), makes the subject duller than a Monday morning after a long weekend! I wish they could change their method of teaching. Even students will start taking active interest, thereby, cutting the vicious cycle of bored and frustrated teachers making students more bored and frustrated.
Our Co-operative Store Book Exhibition is being held over this weekend. I was so excited yesterday to go there and buy books. I took my dad along for the cash and for an extra brain at work as well as a helping hand. We came back, loaded with books. The experience was so different. You walked around through the many sections, looking at the many textbooks on the subject, choosing whatever you want to, having fun…J My friend looked at the many Gynaecology and Obstretics books there, read some and made an instant decision that she would become a Gynaecologist. She already loves the subject, and going to the Exhibition made her resolve even stronger! That’s the strength of putting thousands of books together!

So, as compared to last year, college this year is both, boring and interesting. We have more time on our hands (obviously meant to be utilized in studying, but the mood is yet to come :-P). that gets boring at times. We have tutorials in the afternoon instead of Practicals like last year. Yesterday, we had a Medicine tutorial and I enjoyed it. Overall, I am glad I came into third year, and I know it’s only going to get better. We’re still waiting for our IInd yr examination results though. The tentative date is 28th Feb. Usually, results get out before the stipulated date. There’s a rumour going around amongst our seniors about their results coming out anytime now. So ours would be declared around the same time. I am excited about them, but am not getting my hopes too high up. You never know how badly you might end up getting hurt in the process!!  

No comments: