Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Musings of an Insecure Mind (innate + internship-effect)


It has been almost two months since I last wrote. Internship SUCKS. And as days go by, the feeling of getting used to the whole routine doesn’t make this thought any more palatable. When I was in final year, all I wanted was to get out of it and redeem myself with that one month break between results and the end of exams. During that one month, each day, I went a step closer to the beginning of this internship. Damn, I hated that.
We’ve had Paediatrics and are currently posted in Orthopaedics. Let’s begin with Paediatrics-
If there is ever a place that can frustrate you no end, upset you to interfering with your sleep, anger you to the extent of wanting to burn the place down, exhaust you to such a degree that the mere thought of burning the place down makes you anxious about the extra work you have to do….it is Paediatrics. I did not see my home clearly. I used to leave early in the morning and come back late night only to go to sleep and start with the same routine all over again. We did not get any holidays (No Government Holidays and no Sunday Holidays either). I was pitted against the most annoying girl on earth (no, probably universe)….not just annoying, manipulative, irritating, fussy, un-accomodating and a COMPLETE BITCH, if there ever was one. Out of the four weeks that I was posted in Paediatrics she was with me in three. It started with small fights, and by the end of the month, there was a war. One more day and I swear I’d have slapped her in front of the entire ward. That would have been exhilarating. I don’t mind working long hours and learning something. We did not even do anything amazing. In the ICUs all we ever did was monitoring, until I got myself the job of taking skin and rectal swabs for new patients and making the Bubble C-Pap for the Respiratory patients. I did learn Tracheal suction. I think that was a major landmark, because after we interns started doing it, all patients on the ventilator walked out healthy. Since there was no Junior Resident posted with us, and the Senior Residents thought it below their dignity to do something like a tracheal suction, we lost a few patients to ETT blockage. That thought hurt, you know. It was our fault, after all. So, the next a patient was put on the ventilator, we all took the responsibility of ensuring that a block wasn’t the cause of death. The pride I felt when I saw that girl walk home (breathing on her own) was the highest feeling I got in that one month.
We did not do lab, all we did was, take it from the residents and send it to the concerned laboratory. That was a bad feeling. I mean, you are interns. Lab collection is what you DO. In Paediatrics, they stripped us off the one job that we usually do with a little pride. Add to all this, the stress of the Project, Poster and 25 MCQs that we have to make during that one month. I was intent on making a paper out of my project, so I had to do it properly. I don’t know how I managed it all. I haven’t been so lost to the world and its happenings as I was during that one month.
Orthopaediacs, in comparison, is a fairytale. They have allowed us rotations so ultimately, each of us needs to go and work only twice a week. Emergency days are terrifying. It is heavy and there is no question of eating or even sitting down on that day. I finished my second ED yesterday and I was dead. Completely dead. But, I get time at home….time to make my research papers, time to send them to journals, time to do all the other work I have pending (like writing this blog J ) and time to just sit and still tell myself, you shall have time to study later on.
All is currently good. But, of course, I can’t wait to finish Orthopaedics. I like studying it, but I don’t like being a part of the team. I don’t particularly enjoy the whole scene, never have.
What I really want to write about today, is something that I heard yesterday. So friend of mine messaged me yesterday saying that he may be the topper in Paediatrics in our college. The list may be out this week (or there may be a function this week) and since he isn’t here, I may have to go and check. Have I mentioned before that my Paediatrics marks hurt? I missed out on distinction by one mark (and that left me with no distinctions this year, which hurt in places that I knew it would hurt). Wost part is, I know exactly where I lost that one mark that could have given me something close to pride about my performance this year. Yesterday, he told me that he may be the topper and also that he had crossed that distinction mark (75%). I had been cherishing this tiny hope that I may be the topper of Paediatrics (because the people above my rank have all scored less than me). I was hoping that I may get at least one prize this year (since all the others are totally out of my reach). But, that doesn’t seem to be so now. This friend of mine has scored way lesser than I have. It never crossed my mind that he could get more marks than me in any subject. When I read his message yesterday, I had half a mind to not reply and half a mind to send a really rude message. Ultimately, I gave myself some time to cool down and sent a congratulatory message. Which has left me pondering over my morals-
I always give importance to the marks scored. I want those awards, all that adulation, not because it swells my pride up to the point of bursting, but because it makes me think a little better about my own capability. In the long run, nobody will give as much importance to number of distinctions I got in so many number of subjects, or the list of prizes I won for my academic excellence in college (not even at the University level), or that fact that I stood 1st/2nd/4th in class. What will be more important is the research I’ve done, the papers I’ve published, the places I’ve been to, the skill I have, the knowledge I manage to use practically (all that an examination doesn’t test at all!). And yet, I go hankering after all these marks, all the ranks, all the awards I don’t get….I, even if it is for a moment, spoil all the positive relations I have with people I call ‘friends’ and wish they go rot in hell. I hate being like this. This is insecurity. Insecurity that shouldn’t even be present because time and again, I’m facing examples of people who haven’t had the kind of academic achievements I’ve been lucky to get, but are doing amazing things, getting awesome placements in the best Universities in the world.
I wish I could change myself, I really wish I could. It is a good thing to desire to achieve the best there can be. But, it comes with this sort of a mentality as an auxillary, then it isn’t worth thinking of reaching that place.
Yes, its all out now…feeling better J I have a two day off now. I hope I study J

No comments: