Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Blues

The title of this post is actually wrong. It hasn't been just Monday blues. It has been All-Week blues that earned a boost-up today. I was truly happy and at peace yesterday- the one Sunday when I did not have to look at the sight of that Dermatology building. Hmm...it's been a sad week.
The elective posting is supposed to be the only one in which you have a say. I had a say in it. I was so sure I wanted to take Psychiatry as my elective posting that there never seemed any two ways about it. I don't what went through my mind in those 5 minutes before I went and selected my Internship batch that made me call up a senior of mine and ask, "What should I take? Skin or Psychiatry?" And I don't know what induced her to change from her previous answer of Psychiatry to Skin. She did change her answer though. I changed my mind though. And now I regret every bit of this 15 day torture.
Maybe it is that building. The building houses Paediatrics also and we all know how much I 'enjoyed' that posting. Or maybe it is the lack of space - 2 crowded OPDs where the 6 residents barely manage to fit it (talk of fitting in, there is also an examination table, computers and stools for patients), 2 wards on the 2nd floor of the building where again they've managed to fit in 7-8 beds each for male and female patients. Or maybe it is the lighting- there's hardly any....it is so difficult to look for veins to put intracaths into in improper light. Or maybe it just the residents- they look so bored and not-so-happy with what they are doing, there isn't enough enthusiasm for us left.
I remember how my ENT posting went. When the nice guy gave us work, he gave it with a smile and positive look. We did it in the same way. When the frustrated girl gave us work, she wasn't delighted with the results. In Ophthalmology, the residents and we had a mutually happy relationship. They helped us, we helped them and ultimately patients went home happy. In here, I am just plain bored. They are bored too. I guess, in their defence, if you had to work in the place that they work in day in and day out, you'd get bored too. Still.
All the work that I do is take labs, put caths and take pus culture & sensitivity samples literally everyday. If not taking those samples, I go trace them. TRACE. I hate that word. It means having to walk all the way across the campus from one end to the other and back. On days when I have to pass by the cute resident in the Orthopaedics OPD, it seems more tolerable. But that's just two days out of the whole week. Oh yes, the whole week . That reminds me of the start of this unhappiness. We are 4 interns posted in Skin right now. There are 2 units so 2 interns in each unit. We decided we'd put a rotation for all 4 of us so that we'd have to come only 3 days each. The one person who came would complete the work for both units. The residents did not agree, so we've barely managed to put a rotation in the unit itself. My Unit is 'fantastic' though. They need both of us there. One to take the labs, the other to trace them. One to stay in the wards, the other to go hunting for a xerox shop to split their books/ xerox books/ bring some forms from the co-operative store. God, such a pain.
So, for the past week, I've been going and sitting in college. I and my co-intern alternate between the work and sitting in the library, in case they ask to see our faces. Yes, i'm finally studying and all, but this is so frustrating. I was so glad on saturday when my work was done and I could run home to a Sunday. That Sunday came and went and today, it was back to being glum, angry and in a foul mood.
July 6th, when shall thou come??

In other news, Brazil beat Spain 3-0 in the Confederation Cup 2013. An ardent Spanish Armada fan, I don't know what hurts more- that they lost, that Brazil scored 3 goals or that Spain did not even have a goal on the match sheet. Hmph.

No comments: