Monday, January 10, 2011

The Art Of Leisure

When was the last time I sat down with a bowl of popcorn in front of the laptop and watched movies one after the other? I don’t remember doing it at all, because, well, I haven’t. On Saturday, I watched movies one after the other…all my old favourites obviously. I can’t remember another instance when I enjoyed myself more. The joy of not keeping a tab on the time spent, the joy of knowing that after the movie finishes, there’s another movie to watch, not a text book to read. I wish I could have more of such breaks. I’m sure I’ll do justice to them, as I never have to any other.


Today, I read ‘Pigs have Wings’ by P.G. Wodehouse. I love his stories! There’s a humor that is so hard to neglect, so had to not enjoy…..simple plots that make you just wonder at the pure genius of the author…My ultimate favourite P.G.Wodehouse stories are the schoolboy stories. It is probably because whenever I read them, I am reminded of my school and the feeling of childhood creeps back, bringing with it, memories that are etched in gold forever.

Another favourite of mine is Jane Austen. Firstly, because she writes love stories. Secondly, because she writes love stories like no other. There is humor, there is sarcasm, there is romance, there is an element of character…..and all her heroines are headstrong women; women with personality, women with a definite take on the world, women who have a place in a man’s world. My ultimate favourite is Pride and Prejudice. The contrasting characters of Elizabeth and Darcy are from the start so designed to make the reader understand that they are meant to be. I love the regal, uptight Darcy, who is capable of falling for a girl as badly as he does! Frankly, Jane Austen has taught me to hope and wish that Darcys exist in the real world too :-)

Meeting up with some old friends is on the agenda now. I hope they manage to take time out to come meet me…till then, happy holidays!!!!

No comments: