Saturday, March 31, 2012

Kiss My A**, You Jerks!

There is a limit to tolerance. That is what I used to believe. Creating a symposium and trying to get it to people's attention in college, has made me believe otherwise. There is no limit to tolerance. In fact, with every new interaction with the other group and their phonies, I develop a new, higher limit to tolerance.
This so-called 'battle' has been on for a long time - ever since our college had two groups participating in a Symposium Competition, held at a local college here. That event had a rule - one team per college. So ultimately, it boiled down to a face-off between the two presentations prepared by us and the other group. They were chosen. When we watched their presentation, we realised that there were lots of things we could have done with our presentation. They were the better group.
The second time such a competition came up, initially there was going to be a screening round held at the host college. However, that was not to be, and we ended up having an elimination round here. As we had expected, they won again. This time, the marks showed it all. Our presentation was appreciated by every single person sitting in the audience- it was research-based, it was methodical and it was with the flow. Their presentation was filled with information and wasn't even close to research. However, the marks  they got were plenty. Reason? Favouritism. You see, there is a girl. There is also a teacher who almost idolises her. In fact, the girl is an absolute bitch. But, when the teacher is involved, her bitchy quality disappears. After all, she's watched this girl grow up...obviously, there isn't a single flaw in the girl.
This teacher gave them 8-9 marks more than she gave us. This was when the other judge, gave them just 2 marks more than us in the whole total. The incident left me wounded. I love what my team has come up with. We had improved on our original presentation to such an extent, it was unrecognisable. It wouldn't be wrong to say that I was in love with my presentation. I did not want to face this crappy side of college again. Why does the world need to be so unfair??
Today, the long-drawn decision to present our symposia in college, finally ended. Both our groups were to present our work today. And what does that great teacher (who chaired the session, by the way) do? She says, "Lets keep that awesome presentation for the last and keep that other crappy one for first. That way, the audience will be kept captivated in the end." Yes, she said that. I'm friendly with one of the other teachers, who told me so.
There is simply no reason why anyone should be so partial. Every student should be equal before a teacher. However, life in college has taught me to learn otherwise. I'm sick and tired of all this hypocrisy. It is right there, stark white, standing right in front of your eyes. There is nothing you can do about it. I'm one of those who want to get into people's good books by my work, and not by sweet talk. There doesn't seem to be any market for that though.
Am I upset? I've gone way past that, you know. As fulfilling as the process of making the presentation has been, the stuff happening around it has left me with nothing but anger. After a certain point of time, that anger just turns into smoke. There is no use having so much anger stuffed up inside yourself. Instead, you should simply look ahead and go do better things.
So, kiss my a**, you jerks. Go do your thing. I know, for a fact, and with lots of evidence to support it, I do better things than you, and I get better results than you. Nobody is going to tell me in front of 100 people on a big stage, that I'm not even going to be considered in the competition, because what I have presented isn't even my own research. They are going to tell you that. And you know what guys? At that time, I shall have a small smile on my face, because I shall know that the world outside of college doesn't bow down to your rules.
P.S. Our presentation today was great :-)) I love my team especially for putting up with my short temper and not-so-easy-to-get-along-with behaviour during the Symposium practice sessions:-) You rock guys!!

No comments: