Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Radiology for the Lazy?

Radiology is one of those rare branches you take up, if your rank in the PG Entrance exam is in the top 10. It is a branch that boasts of seats filling up before you manage to complete 'Radio' out of the whole word.
Right now, when I write this entry, I only do so out of pure exasperation. I am hunting down the net for a site that will help ease my tension related to ENT X-Rays; a site out of my dreams which will appear in front of my eyes like Fairy Godmother did before Cinderella (I hope I'm right....medicine really pushes fairytales out of your mind) and say to me, "Here I am...and I shall take care of you, my dear." - basically a site that tells me the basics of all those stupid views listed in that horrid chapter "Radiology in ENT", in Dhingra.
Considering that I am writing this entry, obviously, I haven't been able to find any such Godmother site. It has just been a picture here and a picture there. The worst feeling of this desperation erupts when there's a Radiology site and they have no pictures!! Just paragraphs of information, information, information!
For dumbos (in interpreting xrays and stuff) like me, I need pictures. Pictures that describe every single detail of what is to be seen. It is a well-known phenomenon in our life, as students of medicine, that teachers take patients' xrays out of our hands and say, " Know what is normal first, then we'll discuss the abnormality here."
I am moving away from my topic of interest here. Yes, what I was saying is, Radiology is taken by the intelligent, because they manage to get those top-10 ranks. And they sure must be a little lazy, because life in Radiology is quite good...no emergencies, no lives to save by on-the-spot-decisions, no 2 am calls...and a decent pay...
Why in the world can they not make sites to help people like me then?? We literally rub our noses to those sheets of plastic throughout our lives as students, to identify those weird structures shown. It would really make life a little more interesting and fun, if I knew there was a site that was helping me do that.
It is a pain in the ass, these x-rays. You either know or you don't know. There isn't any real brain involved. But, god, to reach the stage where there is no brain involved, you need to use your brain to find a path.
Help!!! Hope I find a site. It'll give me a good night sleep, knowing at least I can identify the normal structures.   

No comments: