Monday, January 16, 2012

Say Hello To Final Year :-)

And that is exactly what my Brain's reaction was, when it encountered the already extensive To-Do list. Today isn't even the official first day into Final year. That is supposed to be 23rd (a week from now). I know, I know...it is the postings that are more important in Final Year; we'd rather attend those more sincerely than the lectures; so today is the 'Official First Day'....but until the lectures begin, I don't get the feel of  'College' in the real sense of the word. And they begin on 23rd.
Any way, I'd rather talk about my To-Do list. Firstly, giving in to my guilt and my stubborn mind, I have decided to take the risk of doing a Research Project this year. It is a BIG risk. Simply because, a research project takes a lot of the time that you can spend studying. This year, the studying doesn't even end. So, doing a project is like knowing I have Osteoporosis but still, picking up heavy loads and giving those poor bones a chance to break :-p
This is my last chance really. I know I did a good thing by letting go of the Project in 2nd year and concentrating on my Finals. But, deep inside I know I was scared of how it would turn out and not very satisfied with my own interest in the subject. I can't let all that get in the way of developing my research potentials. This year, I'm going to give myself another chance. I am well-prepared. I have a topic, a guide and a rough idea of what all I'm supposed to do. The last date for the Applications is 25th January, so completing my thesis tops my To-Do list absolutely.
Secondly, there's a conference at Lokmanya Tilak Medical College, Sion, Mumbai on 16th-17th February this year. I want my group to present a Symposium on Islet Cell Transplantation. We had first done this at AFMC, Pune in August last year. We all loved the experience, but couldn't get into the final. This time, I want us do things more professionally and get into the finals. We are looking for a few replacements from the previous team. The last date for Registration is 24th January. Since we have to send the forms by post, we need to have the forms, the abstract and the money order ready by Thursday (my deadline). It is full steam ahead for this one..I really want us to do well.
Over to the next point, I want to do an elective in the US after my Final Year examinations. For that, now would be a good time to take the TOEFL. Studying for it is going to be a major part of my agenda for some time now. I have looked through the dates available and March seems good to me. That way, I can finish up with the Symposium and even a part of my project, and then turn over to this. I would have to start applying to the Universities in May-June. So taking the TOEFL in March and getting the results in two weeks time should suit me fine.
Researching through Universities for the Residency programs is going to form a big part of my life this year. Am I, as yet, sure of what I want to do? No. I know that one of my top choices would be Ophthalmology and it would be followed by Paediatrics. That is a tough scenario. As tough as it is, to get Ophthalm, it is much easier to get a residency in Paediatrics in the US. However, I don't want to end up deciding on Paeds only to realise I have done anything about the USMLE. So, I guess, maybe one a week or something, I'll be driving in this direction.
I and a friend of mine had decided last year itself that we would participating in the Indian Association of Paediatrics Quiz this year. We went and talked to the Lecturer in-charge today. She was excited that we have come so early :-) And since we want to do really well in this, we are going to start from now itself. Theory for the exams and extra stuff for the quiz. It should help me any way, as I learnt from my experience as a part of the Ophthalmology Quiz team last year. So this is yet another item on my To-Do list.
Last but not the least - the regular studying. It is Final year...tough from the word go. I have my Obstetrics-Gynaecology Posting now. To underline the importance of this year, our Unit Lecturer immediately made me go take a case (Pregnancy with Anemia), and we had a full discussion about the whole topic. On day 1. Not to mention the number of times she called us "Final year students"!! There's a wave of seriousness around. It is uncomfortable...because even the laid-back students are showing it..and that is so freaky! So obviously, I need to be in the moment throughout. There is no room for lagging behind....because once you remain back there, it gets too much to push back to the front.
Lets begin this year then. I know I'm going to have fun. I feel it. And I shall finally understand the meaning of 'Serious Fun' :-) Happy Studying!!!

No comments: