Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars

I want to watch the Oscars. Right now, as they happen Live. And I have the time to do it too. As my luck would have it, I'm stuck without the one TV channel that is broadcasting them live. My luck sucks to the extent that when I called up customer care to get that channel, they tell me that since I have some add-on packs running, I can't buy one particular channel. Instead, I'll have to buy a whole pack of channels.
Sometimes, I hate these companies SO much. I'll be paying more money for that one channel than for those 5 combined. So frankly, they will gain something by allowing me to have my one channel. But, it works better with the rule they have - if you want one channel, get rid of all your add-on packs, and then take each channel separately. The games these people play. Hmmm.
Moving back to the Oscars- I love watching them. They come at an awesome time, thanks to the time zone of the venue. Nothing is more enterprising than getting up early, finishing everything there is to do and then sitting in front of the television screen to enjoy a real show of talent. That's actually another reason why I love them. Movies which are truly good actually make it to the nominations (unlike our Hindi film industry counterparts, who depend a lot on the star power, production house power, song and dance power and marketing tactics, instead of giving more emphasis to performances). And I've always hated the whole idea of dance performances all throughout the evening during all our Indian award functions. Firstly, most of the stars who perform, don't look like they've practised a lot. The troupe behind them is what carries the show through, as these guys depend only upon their mere presence. I watched the Idea Filmfare Awards, and the only performance I liked was that of Hrithik Roshan. Out of the whole damn evening.
My favourite movie this year has been Life of Pi. What visuals!! The book was always captivating. But what the movie has done to the book, is magic. It has managed to ask questions of the viewer in every frame, in every dialogue, in every movement. The director said that this movie does things to you, not during, but after it is over and you're lying down on your bed, waiting for sleep to come. That's when you wonder....that's when you wish to answer....that's when the many messages that are hidden all through are unearthed....slow...steady....Did any body notice that the Island of the carnivores that Pi discovers was in the shape of Gautam Buddha lying down? It shows for just a split second. But, there you go....tiny moments like that. They touch you at places you didn't know your mind, heart, soul had.
I saw in the news that they won the Oscar for Cinematography and Visual Effects. Totally deserving. No competition. There was magic, there was wonder, there was a strange beauty in that whole journey.....a beauty that did not cease to be cherished even when it went wild, even when it was frightening.
The Alchemist did this to me when I read the book. There was this unearthly beauty, this out-of-the-world feeling of hope, positivity and love of everything there is to be. Life of Pi, the movie did it to me again. It was an intelligent decision not to read the book before watching the movie, I guess. When I read the book after, I managed to get the most I could, out of both.
Oh you stupid Cable Company. I was so interested in watching the Oscars this year. For a change, all the movies on the list genuinely interested me. Sigh... 

No comments: