Saturday, May 5, 2012

Love

Have I ever talked about love before? Over the past decade or so, I've made up lots of definitions of 'love'. They were related to different things - food, book, colour, boys, sports, style, song, chords, etc, etc. The one thing that was common in all of them was constancy - the constancy of my feelings for all those things. So I have come to the conclusion that love is what is enduring and unchanging. Feelings that change over time are not "love". Yes, Jill, wonderful discovery!! You've really got out some new information! The path of the whole world is about to change!! (I hope that sounds sarcastic enough:-p)
I'm not going to take names obviously. As a teenager, I had my share of crushes and great loves. Every new crush was supposed to last forever, be that "special someone". It was good while the feeling lasted. Then, one fine day, I would get up in the morning and ask myself what I even saw in that guy!! But, it was during this time that I found I was better at being in love with broader things- like certain food, cricket, tennis, Westlife songs. Yes, I felt that zoom in my stomach every time one of those came into the picture. And it has remained unchanged over a long time.
Day before my Dad and I went for the IPL match between Pune Warriors and Mumbai Indians. Before I start gushing about the whole experience, let me give you a background about my mental state.
I AM CRAZY ABOUT CRICKET! I am obsessed with it. The obsession started in 2003 and has continued till date. I used to just list cricket as my favourite game before that year. I can watch any game of cricket involving any team. I obviously prefer my faourite teams, but I'd still watch a match just for the love of the game. Before I entered Medical school, I knew the names and faces of all the international cricketers, their coaches, the Physios and the Umpires. Since, entering Medical school, I can't boast upto that extent, but hey, I'm pretty much a walking encyclopedia about the current players. I love reading autobiographies of cricketers. My ultimate dream is to go on a cricket-nations tour and visit all the cricket grounds in those countries, reliving my favourite matches in each of those stadiums. As every other fan, I would do anything to talk to my favourite cricketers.
The Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium
Go ahead, call me stupid. But, the game is my release. This and Harry Potter are two things that get my mind off everything else on earth. Oh yes, also a Rafa match. But, I'm drifting away. I love cricket and I love me for loving it.
So, we went to Gahunje, and my first reaction on seeing that field was, "OH MY GOD!! WOOOOOWWWW!!" A circular field, velvety green, surrounded by the stands with no pillars, the grass all fresh and inviting, it was beautiful!! I think the Wanderers or MCG or SCG will obviously be more inviting because of the history attached to them. But the Subrato Roy Stadium was simply stunning!!
The match was good too :-) After all, Pune did bowl well. It was disappointing to see us lose by that one run. But, hey, that's cricket :-) I was excited that I finally got to saw Michael Clarke (especially the dancing Michael Clarke) and Steve Smith for real. I think that really made my day. I realised that my passion for the game and its players and its teams is for real. When I was sitting there, my mind was off everything else. I heard news that would have, at another time, gotten me pissed. There, it made no difference. It felt so refreshing to be in that state of mind.
Dad and Me Cheering Our Team On :-))
Over the past few months, I've been wondering why I seem to drift away from things and not feel passionate or in love about anything. The game made me realise that my thoughts aren't right. I do have the passion. If I'm not feeling passionate about something, I'm just not into it. Its time to throw all that stuff away. As usual, it has been cricket to my rescue again :-)
Come on, man Pune, get back to your winning ways!!
Our Inter-disciplinary Seminar on Hospital-Acquired Infections was held today. It was a success in every way :-) We all spoke well, and since the topic and the way we handled it ( we went infection-wise rather than subject-wise) were different from the usual line, the crowd was kept interested. Over all, it was a great experience. I loved being on stage (as usual :-)). I was very disappointed with some of the teachers sitting right in front and yawning right through our presentations. As teachers, they are not expected to do that. We, students, spend a lot of time and energy creating these presentations and running behind these very teachers asking for their help. In return, we get a lot of attitude and high-handedness. The least they could do, is on the day of the real thing, be mentally and physically present and supportive.
It has been a tiring week. I don't feel all that great about it. But, I have my awesome presentation to look at and World Laughter Day (6th May) coming up, to brighten my mood a little. Come on girl, lets stand straight and face the next week with your head held high!!

No comments: